Saturday, December 1, 2007

A cartoonist looks at Forty

Mother, mother ocean, after all the years I've found
My occupational hazard being my occupations just not around
I feel like Ive drowned, gonna head uptown
Jimmy Buffet: A Pirate looks at Forty

In twenty-one days my odometer rolls over to the big 4-o. I've been sitting around, trying to thing what my mid-life crisis should be. Red convertible? Nah, I am like a fork in the microwave with it comes to being in the sun, so I probably should stick to a hardtop. A trophy wife? No way. I could go for a hair piece, but I still have all my hair. And it is still muddy blond, or whatever my hair color is. So no hair-dye. I'm having a mid-life crisis crisis.

Actually, I had my crisis eight years ago. When it came to making me face my mortality, cancer beat 4o to the punch. So making 40 is more a relief. A celebration. I think of it as half-time. I had a good first half, I scored some points, but I am going to win the championship in the second half. It's time to do something amazing.

So for the next three weeks, I am going to figure out what that amazing thing is. And I am going to do it in record speed.

I'm excited about the next 40 years. They will be my best yet.

12 comments:

Renee said...

40 is the new 30! Live it up :)!

WeatherWorks by Joe said...

Birthdays are not really important once you past 30.

I go to bed each night thankful that I have survived another day, and I get up each morning thankful my name is not listed in the obit and I have another day to enjoy life.

WeatherWorks by Joe said...

On a side note: I think we need to cancel this year's Championship Bowl Game. It has been too many upsets this year to have a true championship game.

SoMissTV said...

Paying off those countertops would be a notable achievement.

GeofChaucer said...

If you decide on a convertible, may I suggest a Miata? It's a great solution when you and/or Mrs. R need a break from things. We'll invite you to the club!

Marshall Ramsey said...

Mrs. R would ask, "Where does the car seat go?"

Forcedtoretirelegaleagle said...

The only birthday I got upset about was the 32nd, and I think it was because of the person I found myself married to at the time - Gigalo Johnnie! Once I got rid of him, the rest have been a breeze!

Forcedtoretirelegaleagle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
regina Butler said...

40's not so bad Marshall. You can say what ever you want and blame it on old age, all timers or part timers. It's GREAT.

Mrs.H said...

Luckily for me, L was born 2 days after my 37th birthday. I had my last birthday party 10 years ago. Now, hers is too close to mine for us both to celebrate!

CluckyRN said...

Mrs. H, I am 38...and the thought of having another kid right now scares me to death. Those of you who have them into your thirties and beyond are awesome.

Thank you Lord for hysterectomies.
Amen.

~:>

Marshall Ramsey said...

When you are young, you have the energy. When you are old, you have the money. Or at least that is what I hear.

No Tony Randall for me. I won't be siring youngin's when I am in my 70s. Mrs. R would be on the cover of the ENquirer if I did.